Quick Email Contacts
We at Margert Community Corporation understand that - especially in this day & age - we want to pick up the telephone (when necessary) and make real contact, with real people, for real solutions to whatever may have prompted us to pick up the phone in the first palce. As we primarily admister housing programs & services for units of federal, state and city government, the process requires a level of bureaucratic red tape with which none are comfortable. Without the proceess, however, the services simply cannot - and will not - happen. To lessen your frustration and expedite service delivery, we strongly encourgae initial contact via email. Please use the following email contact links by indicating the nature of the service request in the subject line with details briefly explained in the body of the messgae (simimlar contact info along with more complete program desriptions & income qualification guidelines are found on the program pages):
Request Specific Services from Other Programs highlighted on the website
Preregister for an upcoming Home Maintenance Training and Repair Program class
Quick Internal Links
Are you looking for a specific housing program and/or service directly provided by Margert? Just click thru a link below...
Residential Energy Efficiency & Healthy Homes
- Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) - FREE services to reduce the amount of energy required to heat and cool homes and provide hot water, thus reducing energy consumption, while minimizing the impact of higher fuel costs on low income families.
- NYSERDA EmPower - Coordinated with WAP or as a stand-alone, EmPower New York offers no-cost energy services for income-qualified households through its extensive network of NYSERDA approved contractors.
- Con Edison Multifamily Energy Efficiency Program (MFEEP) - As a member of the Con Edison Green Team, Margert Community Corporation helps eligible buildings to reduce their energy usage by providing technical services and incentives for the installation of cost-effective energy efficiency improvements.
Housing Rehabilitation - Special Needs
For Senior Homeowners
- The RESTORE Program (Residential Emergency Services to Offer Repairs to the Elderly) - New York State funds highly qualified nonprofits as local program administrators (LPAs) to effectuate and pay for the cost of emergency repairs to eliminate hazardous conditions in homes owned and occupied by elderly New Yorkers.
For Persons with Physical Disabilities
- The Access to Home Program - provides funding for NYS LPAs to assist with the cost of accessibility modifications (in private homes or apartments) that are necessary to enable persons with disabilities to safely and comfortably continue to live in their homes and avoid institutional care.
Neighborhood Preservation & Housing Counseling
- Neighborhood Preservation Program (NPP) - state-certified Preservation Companies are funded to provide assistance including affordable housing development and rehabilitation, homebuyer education, pre-purchase counseling, foreclosure prevention counseling, tenant counseling, landlord/tenant mediation, community renewal and development activities, and - when needed - high-quality referrals for legal assistance.
- Don't lose your home! Here is some guidance on default and foreclosure prevention for New Yorkers. Foreclosure prevention counseling services are provided free of charge by nonprofit housing counseling agencies working in partnership with the Federal Government. There is no need to pay a private company for these services. This HUD link will take you to a page with state-specific search criteria to help you find a conveniently located housing counseling agency.
- New York State HOME Program - provides funding for NYS LPAs to acquire, rehabilitate, or construct affordable housing, or to provide purchase assistance to low and moderate income homebuyers and renters.
Housing Counseling Program
- Highly-qualified HUD-certified counselors from HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies provide guidance and information to help families and individuals improve their housing conditions and meet the responsibilities of tenancy and homeownership.
- Pre-purchase Homebuyer Education and Counseling - prospective homebuyers just starting the home purchase process are encouraged to call and set up a one-on-one pre-purchase appointment with a certified housing counselor. This is the perfect starting point for future homebuyers to learn about the services offered at Margert, obtain an overview of the home buying process, discuss the availability of purchase assistance grants (if any), examine affordable loan products, and work up a mortgageability assessment to help you determine how much home you can afford.
- The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) - this FHA insured reverse mortgage can be used by senior homeowners age 62 and older to convert the equity in their home into monthly streams of income and/or a line of credit to be repaid when they no longer occupy the home.
- The Making Home Affordable ® Program (MHA) ® is an important part of the Obama Administration's comprehensive plan to stabilize the U.S. housing market by helping homeowners get mortgage relief and avoid foreclosure.